Laptop Bursts Into Flames, Owner Says Laptop Was Charging

Posted on 8.17.16

SHAWNEE, Kan. — Firefighters were called to a home in the 8900 block of Rene Wednesday morning after a laptop computer burst into flames. Paul Kupperman said his wife, Juli, was at home reading e-mail on a different computer when the Sony Vaio laptop computer caught fire. “Flames started to shoot out from all different directions,” Juli Kupperman said.

She put out the fire with a fire extinguisher and called him at work to tell him what happened. “(The laptop) burst into flames again while she was on the phone with me. So I dropped the phone and called 911 and started for home. She had it put out on the driveway by the time everyone got here,” Paul Kupperman said. Kupperman said his laptop computer was turned off, but was charging at the time of the fire. He said the only damage was a smudge on the wall and fire extinguisher dust on the furniture.

« Back to Articles