Appleton, WI – Appleton, Wis. homeowners successfully used a fire extinguisher after calling 911 when a space heater caught fire. While fire crews encountered smoke, there were no activated smoke alarms. They confirmed the fire was all out and had not spread. The Appleton Fire Department reminded residents to have a properly maintained fire extinguisher near an exit and learn how and when to use a fire extinguisher. Also, maintain properly operating smoke alarms on each level of their residence, and only use maintained space heaters and follow proper safety guidance for the use of space heaters.