Mitchell, Ontario – A 12-year-old girl is being called a “pretty outstanding young lady” after using a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in her family’s microwave that started while she was cooking. Brooke Workman was home alone making muffins when she heard a bang from the microwave and saw smoke in the kitchen. West Perth Fire Prevention Officer James Marshall said this good news story has many lessons.
“She was not far away from where she was cooking, she was paying attention, she heard the malfunction even before the smoke alarms went. She called 911, there was a fire extinguisher handy, and she made the decision to try the fire extinguisher on the fire and she was successful,” said Marshall. “You’ve got to have your smoke alarms and you’ve got to have your fire extinguishers … it’s a great way to mitigate the issue and because of her actions her family gets to sleep at home tonight.”