Lafayette, Louisiana – In Lafayette, Louisiana, a 4-year-old girl alerted her mother to a growing fire in their laundry room. The mother instructed her to leave the house and go to their meeting place. The residents then grabbed a portable fire extinguisher and successfully put out the fire. Both adults were able to safely exit the building and join the child while they waited for firefighters to arrive. While the laundry room sustained heavy fire damage, using the fire extinguisher contained the fire and prevented what could have been substantial damage to the rest of the home.