Articles

Electrical shortage in bathroom prompts evacuation

Posted on 2.7.20

Indian River County, FL – On a Friday morning, firefighters responded to the report of a small fire at a Children’s Discovery Center. The fire started in the bathroom of the center after an electrical outlet shorted. After smelling a strange odor coming from one of the vents in the bathroom, a staff member located […]

Read Full Story »

Fire caused by phone charger put out with extinguisher

Posted on 2.2.20

Beverly, MA – A Beverly couple woke up recently to the sound of their fire alarm alerting them to a fire in the kitchen. After leaving their phones to charge in the kitchen overnight, one of the chargers caught fire with the flames quickly spreading in the kitchen. The couple was able to contain the […]

Read Full Story »

Two kitchen fires reported in 24 hours

Posted on 1.31.20

Bend, OR – Two kitchen fires were reported within hours of each other in January in Bend, OR. The first fire started around 11am at an apartment complex after a stovetop was turned on to boil water. A coffee carousel was accidentally left in range of the burner and caught fire. Residents were evacuated after […]

Read Full Story »

Trash truck fire caused by batteries

Posted on 11.14.19

Trash truck fire caused by batteries

Jacksonville, NC – A fire started in a sanitation truck due to lithium batteries being incorrectly disposed of. According to the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality, this type of battery disposal is illegal. When the batteries were pushed into the back of the truck with flammable waste, they combusted and a fire erupted. The sanitation […]

Read Full Story »

High School fire put out with extinguisher

Posted on 11.14.19

High School fire put out with extinguisher

Tipp City, OH – A stage curtain at the Center for Performing Arts at the Tippecanoe High School caught fire this week. Due to the quick action of the school staff members who were on the scene, the fire was put out using a portable fire extinguisher prior to the fire department’s arrival. It’s believed […]

Read Full Story »

Cider Mill reopens after fire put out by extinguisher

Posted on 11.13.19

Cider Mill reopens after fire put out by extinguisher

Endicott, NY – The Cider Mill in Endicott caught fire one early morning this week. The fire was traced to an electrical outlet and when firefighters arrived on the scene, the staff had already been able to safely put it out with a portable extinguisher. Even though they had to close the shop for the […]

Read Full Story »

Fire extinguishers keep fire to a minimum

Posted on 9.26.19

Fire extinguishers keep fire to a minimum

Moose, WY – Multiple fire, EMS, and law enforcement units were called to a structure fire at a Wyoming vacation destination where several hundred people were attending a large dinner event. When authorities arrived, bystanders reported that all occupants had been evacuated and that the fire had started in a commercial kitchen. Resort staff had […]

Read Full Story »

Neighbor knocks down porch blaze using fire extinguisher

Posted on 9.18.19

Neighbor knocks down porch blaze using fire extinguisher

Manchester, NH – City firefighters said a neighbor extinguished a small blaze on the third floor of a home in Manchester, New Hampshire. According to the Manchester District Fire Chief, once the neighbor had noticed the fire, he quickly used a portable fire extinguisher to knock down the flames. When fire authorities arrived, they opened […]

Read Full Story »

Fire Safety Map

Are You Safe? Does your building require fire extinguishers throughout?
Every state has a State Fire Code with a section on fire extinguisher requirements. To get an overview of what state fire codes are based on and if states have made enhancements to fire codes visit the Interactive Fire Safety Map.

View Map »