See It – Grab It – Use It
Medford, OR – In O’Brien, Oregon, the owners of McGrew’s Restaurant were opening for the day when they noticed smoke coming from the restaurant’s kitchen. The owners called 911 and used a portable fire extinguisher to successfully contain the fire until responders arrived. Upon arrival, the Illinois Valley Fire District, the Oregon Department of Forestry, […]
Victorville, CA – In Cajon Pass, California, a CalTrans employee stopped on the I-15 freeway to respond to a bush fire in the center divider of the highway. The employee used a portable fire extinguisher to prevent the flames from spreading and to mitigate potential further damage that could have occurred due to the strong […]
Spokane, Washington – In Spokane, Washington, an individual witnessed a fire erupt at his neighbor’s home. The individual ran to his neighbor’s home when he heard a propane tank explode, although officials are unsure what started the fire. The neighbor used a portable fire extinguisher to contain the fire to the exterior of the home […]
Lansing, Michigan – In Lansing, Michigan, a fire broke out at an apartment complex causing residents to evacuate the building. Prior to emergency responders arriving to the scene, smoke could be seen coming out of the apartments. The battalion Chief noted that a tenant who had a portable fire extinguisher was able to extinguish the […]
Lawton, Oklahoma – In Lawton, Oklahoma, two Captains from the Fort Sill Army Base rescued a driver of a rolled over truck that caught on fire on I-44. The first Captain pulled the driver out of the vehicle while the second one used a portable fire extinguisher on the underside of the truck to extinguish […]
New York, NY – In Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, pedestrians on the street witnessed a liquor store burst into flames. One man quickly went next door, grabbed a portable fire extinguisher, and went to work to control the flames while waiting for authorities to respond. When firefighters arrived, they successfully extinguished the remaining flames. WABC-TV New […]
Saratoga Springs, New York – A recent Saratoga Springs City Council meeting abruptly ended when a battery charger caught fire at the City’s dispatch center. A dispatcher in the room acted quickly and put out the flames using a portable fire extinguisher. Unlike a fire caused by lighting striking City Hall in 2018, which led […]
Lafayette, Louisiana – In Lafayette, Louisiana, a 4-year-old girl alerted her mother to a growing fire in their laundry room. The mother instructed her to leave the house and go to their meeting place. The residents then grabbed a portable fire extinguisher and successfully put out the fire. Both adults were able to safely exit […]
Why Fire Extinguishers are Important
How to Use a Portable Fire Extinguisher
Are You Safe? Does your building require fire extinguishers throughout?
Every state has a State Fire Code with a section on fire extinguisher requirements. To get an overview of what state fire codes are based on and if states have made enhancements to fire codes visit the Interactive Fire Safety Map.