98%

of average individuals can properly use a fire extinguisher

the average untrained person can use a fire extinguisher safely and effectively to help save lives and protect property

95%

of the time fire extinguishers effectively extinguish fires

100%

of individuals studied used a fire extinguisher safely

371,000 residential fires are extinguished by fire extinguishers yearly

Fire Extinguishers
Save Lives

See It – Grab It – Use It

Medford, OR – In O’Brien, Oregon, the owners of McGrew’s Restaurant were opening for the day when they noticed smoke coming from the restaurant’s kitchen. The owners called 911 and used a portable fire extinguisher to successfully contain the fire until responders arrived. Upon arrival, the Illinois Valley Fire District, the Oregon Department of Forestry, and the Rural Metro Fire Rescue extinguished the remaining flames in the dining area, and no one was injured.

KTVL (Medford, OR)

Victorville, CA – In Cajon Pass, California, a CalTrans employee stopped on the I-15 freeway to respond to a bush fire in the center divider of the highway. The employee used a portable fire extinguisher to prevent the flames from spreading and to mitigate potential further damage that could have occurred due to the strong winds. The acre-and-a-half fire was contained to the center divider. However, firefighters and the US Forest Service requested the California Highway Patrol to close a portion of the highway while they suppressed the last of the flames and cleaned up the area.

Victor Valley News (Victorville, CA)

Spokane, Washington – In Spokane, Washington, an individual witnessed a fire erupt at his neighbor’s home. The individual ran to his neighbor’s home when he heard a propane tank explode, although officials are unsure what started the fire. The neighbor used a portable fire extinguisher to contain the fire to the exterior of the home and to extinguish most of the fire prior to responders arriving to the scene. The neighbor’s heroic actions not only prevented damage to the interior of the home but allowed the eight people inside at the time to evacuate safely.

KHQ Local News (Spokane, WA)

Lansing, Michigan –  In Lansing, Michigan, a fire broke out at an apartment complex causing residents to evacuate the building. Prior to emergency responders arriving to the scene, smoke could be seen coming out of the apartments. The battalion Chief noted that a tenant who had a portable fire extinguisher was able to extinguish the fire, which started on a stove. Although two individuals were evaluated for smoke inhalation, they did not require hospitalization and tenants were allowed back into their apartments.

WILX 10 (Lansing, MI)

Lawton, Oklahoma – In Lawton, Oklahoma, two Captains from the Fort Sill Army Base rescued a driver of a rolled over truck that caught on fire on I-44. The first Captain pulled the driver out of the vehicle while the second one used a portable fire extinguisher on the underside of the truck to extinguish the flames. They were able to successfully put out the fire and get the driver to safety before responders arrived.

KSWO 7 (Lawton, OK)

New York, NY – In Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, pedestrians on the street witnessed a liquor store burst into flames. One man quickly went next door, grabbed a portable fire extinguisher, and went to work to control the flames while waiting for authorities to respond. When firefighters arrived, they successfully extinguished the remaining flames.

WABC-TV New York (New York, NY)

Saratoga Springs, New York – A recent Saratoga Springs City Council meeting abruptly ended when a battery charger caught fire at the City’s dispatch center. A dispatcher in the room acted quickly and put out the flames using a portable fire extinguisher. Unlike a fire caused by lighting striking City Hall in 2018, which led to a two-year, multimillion dollar restoration of the building, this fire caused no significant damage.

Albany Times Union (Saratoga Springs, NY)

Lafayette, Louisiana – In Lafayette, Louisiana, a 4-year-old girl alerted her mother to a growing fire in their laundry room. The mother instructed her to leave the house and go to their meeting place. The residents then grabbed a portable fire extinguisher and successfully put out the fire. Both adults were able to safely exit the building and join the child while they waited for firefighters to arrive. While the laundry room sustained heavy fire damage, using the fire extinguisher contained the fire and prevented what could have been substantial damage to the rest of the home.

News 15 (Lafayette, LA)

 

Baltimore, Md. — The University of Maryland Medical Center’s Emergency Department was put on “mini-disaster” status when a patient’s room caught on fire. A hospital staffer acted quickly and used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the fire while they waited for the first responders to arrive. Access to the fire extinguisher contributed to preventing injuries and ensuring that hospital could immediately continue operations.

WBFF Fox 45 (Baltimore, MD)

Bemidji, Minn. – Firefighters in Bemidji, Minn. used a fire extinguisher to put out an apartment fire. Officials said the fire, which appears to be accidental, caused minor damage. Adjacent apartments sustained minor smoke damage. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Lakeland PBS / Bemidji, Minn.




Latest Stories

View All Articles »

Videos

About FireExtinguishersSaveLives.org


Why Fire Extinguishers are Important


How to Use a Portable Fire Extinguisher

Watch More »

Resources

See It, Grab It, Use It infographic

See It, Grab It, Use It Infographic


Types of Fire Extinguishers infographic

Types of Fire Extinguishers Infographic

View More »

Fire Safety Map

Are You Safe? Does your building require fire extinguishers throughout?
Every state has a State Fire Code with a section on fire extinguisher requirements. To get an overview of what state fire codes are based on and if states have made enhancements to fire codes visit the Interactive Fire Safety Map.

Interactive Fire Safety Map Screenshot

View Map »