MEMPHIS, TN – Just before 10 p.m. on a Friday night, a bystander witnessed a car crash and catch on fire. The man said he could see that the fuel line was busted, so he quickly ran inside a nearby store and grabbed a portable fire extinguisher. He knew his priority had to be putting […]
BALTIMORE, MD – Howard County, MD residents retold the story of how a smoldering match almost cost them the contents of their house. On New Year’s Day, the homeowner was lighting candles in her house when the tip of lit match broke off and disappeared under a dresser. Soon after, the husband and wife discovered […]
MILWAUKEE, WI – The head chef at a Milwaukee restaurant was outside hanging Christmas decorations when he noticed that the man grilling across the street had set his porch on fire. The chef and two other men grabbed several fire extinguishers from the restaurant and ran across the street. The restaurants’ business manager was watching […]
VISALIA, CA – Visalia fire authorities labeled a small fire at the city’s Target as suspicious after employees discovered the fire in the toilet paper aisle. A store employee put out the flames by using a portable fire extinguisher before fire crews arrived at the store. The employee was able to extinguish the fire before […]
LITCHFIELD PARK, AZ – All of the animals at the Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium and Safari Park are safe after an electrical fire started in the otter exhibit. Two of the park’s employees discovered the fire shortly after 7 a.m. The employees worked together to save the animals; while one employee put out the flames […]
DALLAS, TX – An American Airlines flight from Dallas-Fort Worth, TX on route to Indianapolis, IN had to be diverted to Little Rock, AR after a passenger’s e-cigarette caught fire in the airplane’s restroom. Crew members responded swiftly by using a portable fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Passengers reported that while the flight […]
MCALESTER, OK – No students or school personnel were injured when a fire ignited underneath a school bus. Two sisters, who were going to the school to pick up their nieces, discovered the fire and acted quickly to alert the bus driver. Once alerted, the bus driver evacuated the students from the bus, while the […]
NILES, MI- No one was injured when the Niles Fire Department responded to a grease fire at a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Workers first noticed a fire underneath the fryer, but then the flames spread upward. As some employees called 911 and evacuated the restaurant, other workers used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the […]
Are You Safe? Does your building require fire extinguishers throughout?
Every state has a State Fire Code with a section on fire extinguisher requirements. To get an overview of what state fire codes are based on and if states have made enhancements to fire codes visit the Interactive Fire Safety Map.