Dover-Foxcroft, Maine – A Maine homeowner knocked down a cooking fire with a fire extinguisher before crews arrived, which saved the home from severe damage. Firefighters said the fire broke out while the resident was cooking wet potatoes in hot grease on the stove. The fire flared up into the microwave and then into the […]
Santa Barbara, Calif. – An Amtrak employee used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire inside the Amtrak station before it could spread. It began when a man used newspapers to start a fire in a nonoperational fireplace located inside the passenger waiting area. Witnesses observed the man warming himself in front of the […]
Fish Creek, Wis. – Two recent fires in Door County, Wisconsin were doused by people making split-second decisions with fire extinguishers. “The impact of those extinguishers was significant,” said Gibraltar Fire Department Chief Andy Bertges. “I don’t think a lot of people realize what was prevented and saved. It’s hundreds of thousands of dollars’ difference […]
Green Bay, Wis. – Fire crews in Green Bay only used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in an apartment unit. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters remained at the scene to clear the apartment of smoke. The total damage caused by the fire is estimated at $1,500. No injuries were reported. WFRV […]
Branson, MO – The quick response of a Branson, MO police officer armed with a fire extinguisher kept a fire at a commercial building from spreading. “We use the phrase big fires start small, small fires produce a huge amount of smoke and smoke is what kills,” Branson Fire Rescue Chief Ted Martin said. “When […]
Burlington, VT – The quick thinking of a newspaper carrier helped keep a 3 a.m. fire from spreading by grabbing and using a fire extinguisher he kept in his vehicle. The fire chief speculated the situation could have been much worse had the carrier not intervened. Burlington Free Press (Burlington, VT)
South Lake Tahoe, CA — Police officers in South Lake Tahoe sprang into action Friday, putting out a wildland fire burning near a local high school around 6 a.m. Officers responded to the fire burning near South Tahoe High. One of the officers whose bodycam was recording at the time, got his fire extinguisher from […]
Meridian, ID — A local man is being called a hero after he helped save a mother and baby from a vehicle fire alongside a highway. The Meridian Fire Department told reporters that they received a call about a car that had caught fire just before noon on a recent Wednesday. Upon arriving on the […]
Are You Safe? Does your building require fire extinguishers throughout?
Every state has a State Fire Code with a section on fire extinguisher requirements. To get an overview of what state fire codes are based on and if states have made enhancements to fire codes visit the Interactive Fire Safety Map.